The internet can be a wonderful thing. Since people at work have found out that I make jewelry I’ve been asked to repair a lot of stuff. Mostly it’s been restringing jobs, with occasional re-gluing. Recently someone gave me a chain with a broken link and asked me to fix it. I told her I wasn’t sure, but I’d give it a shot. At least I couldn’t break it any broker.
I put off fixing it for a couple of weeks because I was working on other orders, and I was really apprehensive about trying to fix it. I went to YouTube and watched videos on how to repair chain. It seemed pretty straightforward, but I was still afraid I would melt the links rather than solder them. I finally got out my torch and tools and went to work. Got it on the first try! Still kind of surprised at that. It was nice to be able to give back the repaired necklace.
I am as proud of this plant as almost any in my garden. In the past I have done a wonderful job of killing them. I got this one off of Ebay, intending to put it in my kitchen window with the sarracenia I haven’t yet killed, but it was too big. So I put it in a compote dish that belonged to my mom-in-law. There it has room to drape over the edge. I’ve been watering it regularly with distilled water and have it in bright indirect light. I haven’t been paying much attention to it until this weekend when I noticed it had traps. Not just traps, but kind of large traps, over three inches long. It’s also developing some smaller ones at the base, but they’re smaller and look different. I’m wondering if there are two different varieties in the pot. Sometimes it seems like the best things in my garden happen when I’m not looking.
Got mantid egg cases for the garden this year. They’ve hatched.
Walked through the living room and there she was, sitting placidly in the box. Not hiding, not playing, just there.
This cooperative, but rather unphotogenic new flier was hopping around outside the office the other day. I kept an eye on it as I went in and out during the day. It was gone when I was left for the day.
Spud following me around the yard. He has to make sure that I haven’t dropped anything delicious.
Fiddled around quite a bit in the garden this weekend. It’s amazing how much work I can do out there and still no one else can see the difference. I ended up with a full trash barrel of pruning and even I can barely tell the difference.
I think these are going to be green zebra tomatoes. I’m looking forward to trying them, I’ve never had any. They might be tiger tomatoes, but they’re the wrong shape. More like to be the green zebras.
I got this echevaria imbricata because I love the way the rosettes grow in tightly packed mounds. I potted it so it could develop a bigger root system before I put it out in the yard. It’s also starting to produce offsets.
I got this euphorbia guiengola plant because the description said that it would develop a caudex over time. I’ve had it for a couple of years now and it shows no sign of developing a thickening trunk. I’m still pretty happy with it, even if it is basically just sticks with flowers on them. I haven’t seen this plant anywhere before, so at least it has the advantage of being unusual.
This poor little aloe is getting a little sun stressed. It looks better when the leaves a re a darker green, so I moved it to a spot where it doesn’t get quite so much sun.
This aloe is apparently happy with a crowded root system. The pot it’s in might hold two cups of soil at most. It’s one of the first things I got when I found the Orange County Cactus and Succulent Society. I couldn’t resist the colors. These guys are as close to cactus as I get. I just don’t like pokey things. Had a bad experience when I was a kid. Pliers were required to remove the spines.
My ledebouria socialis is doing pretty well. I’m anticipating moving this one, too, when the heat of summer moves in. I love how well it goes with the pot it’s in.