Today I made an apple pie totally from scratch. These are the things I learned:
1. Don’t wear black when playing with flour.
2. Apple corers are pretty much useless. Cut the apples in half, peel, then cut off slices. Much easier.
3. There’s a reason they tell you to work with ice water. I didn’t last time and it was a mistake.
4. Don’t throw away the pieces of crust. Roll it out, put cinnamon and sugar on it and cook it. Delicious.
5. My cat will happily eat raw pie crust.
I still don’t know how it will turn out. It’s in the oven right now. But it sure smells good.